Journals LibraryNHS NIHR - National Institute for Health and Care Research
- To be used for reporting individual components of the research within the Journals Library, as set out in the Publication Protocol.
- Word count is set to 8,000 words. The intention is for the article to be reported to a similar standard of other journal research articles, whilst recognising that the word count will be larger due to NIHR’s commitment to full reporting.
Although we are changing our publication model, much of our existing guidance on particular elements or requirements of a report remains relevant. In the sections that follow, we have provided hyperlinks to our existing Information for Authors where this might be helpful. Where relevant, reporting guidelines should be followed.
All Research Articles should include:
- Title page (see https://www.journalslibrary.nihr.ac.uk/information-for-authors/Full-Final-Report/report-contents/report-sections/title-page.htm)
- Review history (date received and accepted)
- Abstract (see https://www.journalslibrary.nihr.ac.uk/information-for-authors/Full-Final-Report/report-contents/report-sections/abstract.htm)
- Contents list (including list of tables, figures, boxes, abbreviations, appendices and supplementary material)
- Glossary (if required)
- Plain Language Summary (see https://www.journalslibrary.nihr.ac.uk/information-for-authors/Full-Final-Report/report-contents/report-sections/plain-language-summary.htm)
- Main body
- Background and introduction
- Aims and objectives
- Methods [including, for example, specific sections on PPI, EDI, statistical analysis, data sources (for systematic reviews), ethics, study/trial registration details]
- Future research
- Lessons learned
- Conclusions (with sections such as ‘what this study adds’ and/or ‘key learning points’)
- Acknowledgements (see https://www.journalslibrary.nihr.ac.uk/information-for-authors/Full-Final-Report/report-contents/report-sections/acknowledgements.htm)
- Dissemination to participate and related patient and public communities: to include information on dissemination plan (including publications)
- Publications list of outputs resulting from the programme grant (see below)
- References (see https://www.journalslibrary.nihr.ac.uk/information-for-authors/Full-Final-Report/report-contents/report-sections/references.htm)
- Appendices (see https://www.journalslibrary.nihr.ac.uk/information-for-authors/Full-Final-Report/report-contents/report-sections/appendices.htm)
The Funding and Awards website project pages are an opportunity to host additional material that has been used and or created during the lifetime of the research project. Hosting these documents on the project webpage to form part of a thread of the research enables transparency and reproducibility. (see https://www.journalslibrary.nihr.ac.uk/information-for-authors/Full-Final-Report/report-contents/project-webpage-uploads.htm)